Want to Volunteer with Animals?
What training is required for a Furry Friends Recovery volunteer therapy dog team?
- Dog must pass Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Test
- Dogs must pass temperament test
- Attend Volunteer Training Class
- Complete Supervised Training Visits
Expectations of a therapy dog:
- Follows commands of handler
- Loves to meet new people
- Friendly toward strangers of all ethnicities, genders, etc.
- Comfortable around other dogs
- Accepting of being touched all over
- Not overly fearful of loud noises
- Psychologically sound and non-reactive
- Comfortable in a variety of settings
- Clean and Healthy
Expectations of volunteers:
- Keep commitments and be on-time
- Stay connected with your dog at all times.
- Know your dog and its limits
- Never stop training your dog
- Keep your dog healthy and well-groomed
- Be willing to learn new skills
- Have a positive attitude
- Use gentle communication with your dog
- Be willing to work with a variety of people in a variety of settings
- Maintain client confidentiality
Requirements: Must LOVE dogs and children. Have transportation to visit various locations.